Piercings,medicine, slavery?-Part 3!

Hello peeps. It's me again. Well today I'm here to put the finest  jewellery in some holes. Lol. So, looking back at my last two posts on piercings. I looked at the septum, nose piercing, belly piercing, The industrial, the lobe piercings (remember the people that believed that demons could posses them through their ears so they would pierce their ears and put metals there. I was talking about the lobe. Lol. ),and then there were nipple piercings and tongue piercings (blood ritual stuff. Lol. )

So first on today's bill is the eyebrow piercing which also requires a barbell.(curved)

An eyebrow piercing.
Neatly served😌

OK so this piercing originated as a result of experimenting. Well. More respectfully put. Innovation. It germinated in the 1970's in the era of "punk"
So they call it.

Mostly placed vertically on the outer side of either eyebrow, the eyebrow piercing managed to become popular quite quickly. Nowadays it is considered as one of the classics. Although most eyebrow piercings are placed vertically some do have a horizontally placed eyebrow piercing.
In this era even up to covid-19. It is seen as one of the classics.

Now jumping on to the rook, piercing ,the tragus and the daith which seem to be very closely related in their medical abilities.

The daith.

The rook.

And finally. My very own. Tragus😁

Now. Rumour has it that the daith can help cure the problem of constant migranes. While the tragus and rook help with headaches.
I do believe it's safe to say acupuncture isn't out of fashion πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Now let's look at the history of these three piercings. Shall we?
Audience first. I presume. 😊
" Like the Daith the origin or popularity in modern piercing can be traced back to Erik Dakota in the early 1990s. It's claimed that the name comes from a shortening of his name, though who knows. Though there is a bird that comes from the crow family called a Rook and I've often thought that the location puts one in the mind of a bird or group of birds on a power line or tree branch. At any rate, it was named by Erik and then documented by Fakir Musafar in his Body Play and Modern Primitive Quartly in 1992. Now wheather or not Erik was in fact the first to do the piercing is hard to say. There seems to be no earlier reference to the piercing but like all piercings chances are someone tried it long before modern times."
So now to the tragus
From a historical and cultural standpoint, the tragus piercing has been around since the Native American tribes. Back in these days, certain tribes would showcase their social status with multiple piercings and tattoos, one of which being the tragus piercing. While these types of piercings often came equipped with much larger objects in them such as sticks, animal bones and plated objects, it set the tone for later generations to take the idea and evolve with it.
So now moving on to a class of piercing that irk me often times depending on the type. I present to you.
Lip piercings 😌
Shall we dance? Yes. We may.


So from the medusa to labret and labret to shark bites. I just don't know what to say. Personally. I've only seen physically with my own two eyes. A lady with a labret and it was actually nice. Tbh.

So the Aztecs (in central mexico). They have a known history of practing lip piercings which were done on child soldiers.

The lip piercing history dated back to some cultures both in Africa and the Americas. It is a common practice among the people of Papua New Guinea, the Dongon people of Mali, the Nuba of Sudan and Ethiopia. Also found among the people of the Amazon basin in South America. In the Pre-Columbian era, the people of South America, and some tribes in Malawi.
Now to the part that creps me out the most and makes me want to go and call social services before other young girls are 😀

There you have it!
This seriously scares me.
No offence to anyone's culture but seeing this makes me mad.

According to some sources this was done in north Africa to make the young girls less attractive to the slave traders. As we can all see.
The only thing going through my mind right now is. How do you even kiss your husband? 🀐
No for real. How can you be intimate with someone? ??
But the tradition is also saying that

This plate is usually inserted by the potential husband about six months before marriage. This is a betrothal rite and the bigger the plate, the more the dowry.
Please I have rested my case.
Ok so. I was also thinking the husbands did this to keep their wives from nagging πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Lupita. If you ever see this.... don't hate me πŸ€—πŸ€—πŸ€—.

So I'll leave you here. And leave you with some interesting images. And websites. Please do visit them.








This. Is a very delicate matter. So I would refer you to "The piercing Bible" by Elayne Angel.



Till next timeπŸ˜‰
Raven outπŸ˜‰

Comments